Every part of your home is important to you, but there are certain areas that you probably take more pride in than others. One such area is your home’s bathrooms. The bathrooms in your home need to live up to several expectations, including cleanliness, functionality, and beauty. The last thing you want is for your bathrooms to be dirty, poorly maintained, or embarrassingly designed. One aspect of your bathrooms that can often make or break them is the flooring. You want bathroom flooring that will meet the day-to-day needs of you and your family, that’s easy to keep clean, and that will impress guests. If you don’t feel like your home’s bathrooms are cutting it, you’re in the right place to learn about a few of the best bathroom floor ideas to help you upgrade your bathrooms to fit your and your family’s style, needs, and budget.
Common Types of Bathroom Floor Tile
Bathroom floor tiles are made from several different types of material. Each material has its benefits. The most common types of bathroom floor tiles are:
- Vinyl – Vinyl bathroom floor tile is probably the most popular material used for bathroom flooring. It comes in a lot of different styles so it can fit just about any look you’re going for in your bathrooms. Many types of vinyl flooring are waterproof. Vinyl is also less expensive than some other types of bathroom flooring.
- Porcelain/Ceramic – Porcelain and ceramic tiles are another excellent option. Like vinyl, many styles of porcelain and ceramic tiles are waterproof. In addition, ceramic and porcelain flooring is durable, especially if you apply a glaze, which will protect it from scratches and everyday wear and tear.
- Laminate – Laminate usually come as planks, but they are also available as tiles. Laminate will help you stay under budget, and laminate is durable and easy to clean.
- Glass – Glass tiles can make your bathroom floor very eye-catching. The layer of glass covering the floor can give it the illusion of depth and if the glass is tinted, it can have this stained-glass look when the light hits it. In addition, if you’re worried about slipping on a glass tile floor, you can get textured glass tiles to ensure that your bathroom floor is slip resistant.
- Cork – Cork tiles are probably one of the most comfortable types of bathroom floor tiles. They are warm to the touch and provide your feet with a relatively soft foundation to stand and walk on.
- Linoleum – Linoleum tiles are best suited if your home’s style is retro or contemporary. Linoleum is made of pigments, linseed oil, wood flour, cork powder, and ground limestone. Linoleum naturally repels dust, dirt, and microorganisms. Linoleum planks can be clicked together, which makes linoleum relatively easy to install.
- Stone – Stone tiles are available in a wide array of colors and styles. They are generally made from slate, marble, limestone, or granite. Stone tiles are also available in several textures, which allows you to make sure your floors are slip resistant and have a unique look. Textures that stone tiles are available in include flamed, cleft, sandblasted, tumbled, and etched.
Top Waterproof Bathroom Flooring Options
One of the most important traits bathroom flooring needs to have is being waterproof. If it’s not, you’ll be replacing it sooner rather than later. Top waterproof bathroom flooring options include but are not limited to the following:
- Vinyl – Many types of vinyl flooring is made to look like higher priced flooring options. It comes in both waterproof and water-resistant styles. Vinyl is also reasonably priced and comfortable to walk on and stand on.
- Ceramic/Porcelain – In addition to being waterproof, ceramic and porcelain flooring is stain resistant and easy to maintain. Porcelain and ceramic flooring is also affordably priced and comes in several colors and styles.
In some cases, if there’s a flooring option that you fall in love with that’s not waterproof, you may be able to have it waterproofed either prior to installation or during the remodeling process.
Small Bathroom Flooring Ideas
Small bathrooms can be very beneficial. They’re easier to clean and it costs less to build and remodel them. Here are a few of the best flooring options for small bathrooms:
- Vinyl – While hardwood could be the look you want in your bathroom, due to issues involving water damage, hardwood is usually not a good idea for any size bathroom. However, there are vinyl planks that look just like hardwood. Since vinyl is often waterproof or, at least, water resistant, installing vinyl planks in your small bathroom can be a great idea.
- Tile – Spiral mosaic style ceramic/porcelain tiles can work very well in small bathrooms. They can be used for both the floor and the walls. It involves for light colored rectangular tiles circled around a dark colored square tile.
Bathroom Flooring Ideas on a Budget
If you’re on a tight budget, you don’t have to settle for bathroom flooring that’s below your standards. Here are a few bathroom flooring ideas on a budget that could be the right fit for your home:
- Vinyl – Vinyl can be made to look like just about any type of flooring you want, from hardwood to marble and everything in between. This makes it an excellent option for those looking to buy bathroom flooring on a budget, because they can have the style of flooring they want for a fraction of the price.
- Porcelain – Porcelain and ceramic are often linked. However, porcelain is considered a bit more elegant than ceramic. Since porcelain is made from clay that’s fired at extremely high temperatures, it absorbs moisture at a low rate, which makes it an excellent choice for a humid room like a bathroom. More importantly, porcelain comes in a wide variety of styles, including faux-marble and faux-wood. Therefore, if you are looking for a more expensive style of flooring for a cheaper price, porcelain is a great choice.
Best Flooring Ideas for a Bathroom Remodel
If you’re remodeling your home’s bathrooms, here are a few of the best flooring ideas for a bathroom remodel:
- Heated Tiles – What’s worse than stepping onto a cold bathroom floor after taking a hot shower or bath? Well, if you install a hydronic or electric heating system underneath your bathroom floor tiles, you will never have that problem again. Hydronic heating systems involve installing rubber tubes under the floor. The tubes are connected to a water heater that heats water traveling through the tubes. The hot water in the tubes keeps the bathroom floor warm. An electric heating system involves an electric panel being installed under the bathroom floor. It’s connected to a thermostat and a timer, which you can use to warm the floor to your desired temperature when you choose.
- Staggered Patterns – This technique can involves mixing and matching different size tiles to create patterns in your bathroom flooring. It can result in a very attractive bathroom floor design.
- Tile rugs and borders – This involves mixing and matching different color tiles to form areas and patterns. For example, you could create a “rug” or border around the base of the toilet using different color tiles from the rest of the floor. This technique can make your floor more attractive than simply using the same color tiles throughout. It can also help make the room appear more spacious.
Need Help Getting Started? Call or Visit Austin’s Floor Store Today to Bring Your Bathroom Flooring Ideas to Life
If you’re trying to figure out which of the best bathroom floor ideas are right for your home, Austin’s Floor Store is ready to help. Austin’s Floor Store has been serving homeowners in Pflugerville, Cedar Park, and throughout the Austin metropolitan area since 2010. We offer free flooring estimates, in-home estimates, financing, installation, and warranties. To learn more about how we can make your bathroom flooring ideas a reality, come by one of our locations, take advantage of our shop at home services, or call us today.